Wednesday, July 15, 2009

learning


Spinning has been on my mind for a while now. I have been taught to spin in school, but I did find it rather difficult back then. I still have left the yarn I spun then, and now I think it's simply beautiful tough the color choices are a bit strange (white and purple and some blue!?).


But last week I discovered a beautiful, old double-drive spinning wheel from a shed at my husbands family's summer place. It was covered with spider webs and dust and everything, but it had all the needed parts and it seemed fully functional. A little cleaning and oiling, and it worked like a new (well, I do not have any experience on a new spinning wheel, but you get the point).


I did not have any wool suitable for spinning, but found some wool that was planned for felting. It was difficult to spin, but the wheel seemed to work just right. And it was so much fun, even if it was a bit too hard for a beginner like me! So now I must first get the wheel home to me (which my dear mother-in-law kindly promised) and find some proper wool for spinning.

6 comments:

Laura Michelle said...

What a great find! I've just gotten back into spinning on my wheel and it's been really fun to experiment. Enjoy!

outi said...

Uskomattoman hieno löytö! Ja kaunis tuo harmaa.

nicole said...

How exciting! It looks like a beautiful wheel. What a lucky find. I have an old wheel too, but I've yet to learn how to use it. Maybe soon...

Chris said...

How wonderful for you!! I hope you'll enjoy spinning very much.

alittlebitofscrap said...

What an ambitious endeavor, but I think it would be very satisfying :) I don't have the 'will' to try it ;)
Couldn't resist.. LOL!

rosa p. said...

just great for the first steps! spinning ist so .. full of calm...